21.6.09

Of Status Updates, B(a)i Love & Bombay Rain

So the gang was out last night for drinks and dinner at Masala Craft in Bandra. By the way, this place is probably gonna turn out to be a regular haunt for a number of reasons - fairly good ambiance, decent selection of alcohol (they do need to stock up on all the beers mentioned in the menu but they had the basics covered), pretty good food not to mention their healthy portions, all of which were very reasonably priced. And... and... AND the clincher - they allow smoking in the outdoor section!

So we were talking about how people are getting crazy with social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and the like who provide the Status Update function. Its getting to be a little more than ridiculous now... People seem to want to divulge every little bit of information about themselves and their lives. I mean get a life dude! No one wants to know about your current dilemma of which toilet paper you want to buy. Buy freakin' sandpaper and well go to town you idiot!

I guess women really have the worst of it when it comes to sites like Facebook. My friend ShutterBug was mentioning how when she had no profile pic, there never used to be any Friend Requests but now that she has put up her pic, she receives at least 10-15 requests a week. And she was certainly in a mood to vent about the same. And thus she presented Exhibit A - a Friend Request with a personal note - "Hello its J___... I wrk 4 international diamond jewelry firm as Marketing Manager, can I b on ur list, I think Angels from heaven never reject invitation from dukes of earth. Hope to have a word soon…"
(Hysterics ensue on the table)
BF (loudly): Hahahaha... This guy is unreal... how do people like this exist... dude's a total nutjob!
BF (mentally): Must find out how to become a Duke of Earth!

Speaking of 'Dukes', this Shiney Ahuja case is just annoying the crap out of me. I guess world & domestic news aren't exciting enough given the coverage that this story has garnered. The funniest thing is the way people have gotten behind the man. His wife and family defending him is understandable. And of course Bollywood usually looks after their own. Although once news of him having admitted to having sex with his bai (that's maid for my international readers) probably had those people distancing themselves from him as well.
Can't really say this is surprising after hearing stories (from friends in the film industry) of the man and his questionable choices of female company (makeup artists, hairdressers etc).
I guess the final word belonged to my brother who after hearing the afore-mentioned stories goes, "So he's a lover of the working class eh?!"

Finally I end this post with a fervent plea to the Rain Gods. Its been a brutal summer and I know once the rains (which we're soooo desperately craving now) truly set in, there'll be a lot of cribbing about the muck and the slush and the travelling in the resultant miserable weather, but it needs to come down right now! And none of that annoying drizzle neither...
For people who've been educated in Bombay and learnt Marathi, here's that ole verse from your and mine school days:-
Ye re Ye re pausa (Come on down, Rain)
Paisa tula deta (You shall be compensated monetarily)
Paisa zhala khota (Oops the cash turned out to be counterfeit)
Paus ala mota (Big mofo Rain came slammin' down on your cheatin' ass)

Or.... maybe you'd prefer Warren's spin on it...



Here's to those rainy afternoons when you didn't mind being cooped in... of wet windy gusts and the prettiness of Nature's greenery in all its wet glory... of adrakwali chai and kaanda bhajiya... Naaah the rains ain't so bad...

10 comments:

Thresia said...

HA. I have the shit on the rain gods. Most of them are beating down on me, blowing my hair around, and generally making me feel awesome. Maybe I'll tell them to pay you a li'l visit. Mmkay?

88 said...

Oh hell yeah.... According to some reports this might be the most delayed rains in over a decade I think, so we really need some relief.
Man I gotta tell ya one of the nicest rainy afternoons I've ever experienced was in your neck of the woods many many years ago. My uncle's house somewhere in Erk and it was incredibly pleasant lying on the couch in that verandah, staring out...

shenanigans said...

I remember praying for a really, really heavy downpour so college would be cancelled when I was living at the Sophia Hostel in Bombay! And then again of wading out in thigh deep water and going to work when I lived on on Cater Road in Bandra! Oh the memories...

88 said...

you're from Sophia's?!! Aah one of our favorite gigs was Kaleidoscope '98. That basketball court was positively shakin' with the girls going crazy when we played 'That Thing You Do'. Awesome gig till I said "Fuck" on the mic and then they shut us down in 60 seconds. lol

And hey I lived in Bandra for a good 22+ years.... those bylanes still get flooded btw :)

Girish Shahane said...

Paisa tula deta???

88 said...

Aah G I knew if anyone had to spot that (intentional) error it would be you :)
I just wanted to put the verse down as I remembered it... Bad Marathi and all :)

P.S - To my Marathi illiterate readers, the correct 2nd line is Tula deto paisa

Australis said...

Dude, I just got back from a city where the temperature was freaking 44 degrees! I have never been more grateful for the 30 degrees here. :D

88 said...

Well we've got quite the soaking in the city for the past weeks or so... can't complain :)
44 deg huh?! Ughh...

Australis said...

Yeah...saw the news the day before I was leaving...floods and all. Must be a pain too, this other extreme.

88 said...

And as I was gonna say its been behaving itself lately - heavy clouds gather in the sky... they look dark and quite mean!