22.5.09

57%

Couple of weeks back, I'm waiting at one of those ridiculously long you'll-be-rotting-here-till-the-end-of-time signals, when I see a woman, by the side of the road chatting away on her mobile, walking towards my general direction.

She walks past my rick and eventually goes out of sight. But I'd stopped watching midway... more interested in seeing my fellow wait-ers at the signal gawking at this woman. Pretty much every dude including the 2 guys on a bike next to me and my own rickshaw-wala had their eyes fixed on her. Couple of reasons for this - A) She was good looking. Not a spectacular, drop dead gorgeous specimen but a decent looker nonetheless. B) She had the kind of clothes and makeup on that suggested she might be a model/actress heading to/from a shoot.

The moment she passed us and was reasonably out of earshot, the pillion rider whispers something to the biker and they both let out a smirky laugh. Just got me thinking of how juvenile Indian men can really be. I mean its kinda pathetic but the majority (and I'm talking strictly about the urban and reasonably well educated category) of these men just don't have it in them to be classy about such matters.
Some weird Pavlovian thing I guess... Woman walks by... Tongues hang out.. and you don't have the ability to do anything nor the willingness to remain quiet, so you pass nasty comments.
I like my women as much as the next guy but I just can't stand just how crude some guys get when it comes to women and describing them.

Speaking of juvenile, back in school, and you know how hormonally raging teens can get, breasts were a matter of serious and utter (udder?!) fascination for all of us. So in typical teen-sian words, one would compare sizes and in descriptives which ranged from, "Arre dekh uske 3 litre ke..." to "Usko AMC bulatey hain... Aarey Milk Colony... hahaha..." to the most inane one (with the requisite hand gestures) I've heard in all my years, "Dekhe kya uske?!! Kya mast ball-beel hai!"
Someone please enlighten me as to what the fuck a Beel is. Also is it only me or do others find it cringe-weird when Indian men refer to breasts as balls???

After doing a quick read thru on the above post, its a little more obvious why this website believes what it does... Bah!

7 comments:

Nimbupaani said...

Haha So I tried the gender analyzer for my blog and it got it right. So i know it works!
That makes me wonder about urs! Female and all- so when r u bringing out the dresses!

But on another note, on ur main post, the wierder thing is that as Indian women we get so used to reactions and attitude like that, that we hardly even notice the 'checking out' eyes or the hanging tongues or the stupid side commentary. We've just conditioned ourselves to gloss over it all as long as it remains relatively non-threatening. And so I wonder which is more pathetic- that Indian men do these things or that indian women by and large ignore it and take it as a way of their being!

88 said...

*muttering* forget comments... i wouldnt mind dishing out well deserved spanks to certain wiseasses :P

I'd like to say this was a well intentioned post about Women's Lib etc but its not. More to do with how difficult it is to strike up conversations with women in bars without them giving you the "yeh-meri-izzat-lootne-wala-hai" look

Altho given some of the horror stories I've heard from up North, can't say I blame 'em. Those dudes have gone straight to kidnapping in some instances!
Whew talk about skipping the chitchat about the weather...

sherene said...

Check this out and feel sorry for all desi women out there who will be preyed upon by these 'trained flirts' http://www.realman.in/ UGH!

88 said...

well fuck me sideways!!
Holy (something melodramatic here) Batman! An Indian website for shit like this! Damn!

4 something am on Fri night... wait... Sat morning actually. I have a 12 hour dubbing shift starting in less than 5 hours but Sherene you made my frickin' day! lol
Thanx doll (I'm assuming no guy would go by 'Sherene' :D)

Australis said...

Gross. I remember only too well what it was like walking on the streets in Delhi, especially on a crowded day. These days, I carry mace when I am back home.

So sad. And now this site from Sherene. Just want Indian men need eh - LESSONS on how to irritate women! Or maybe it is a good thing...teach them to make actual conversation in a bar as opposed to stare from the other end of the room for 10 mins and then walk up menacingly.

Australis said...

Sorry if that stereotyped Indian men, BF. No offence meant...but it really is so hard to find exceptions...

88 said...

None taken... I do sympathise with the cause of the women but there are some of us who just wanted to share a drink and maybe some conversation and get shot down too brutally.

We have our fair share of crap that goes down here in Bombay with women, but Delhi... man the dudes there take it to another level.

Who knows maybe Shiva from RealMan.in really will show the way lol