6.9.08

For those about to Rock...

I've been goaded into making a post (you know who you are!)

Nothing major happened this week. Had a holiday on Wednesday coz of Ganpati. Mid week chuttis are so nice no?!
I was at V's house for Ganpati lunch something which I’ve been going for the past few years now. Her Mom makes the most awesome modaks... yummmm...

Of course the whole post-lunch discussion of "soooo-when-are-you-going-to-get-hitched?" was brought up. What’s with all Matashrees anyway?? I thought girls usually have the whole pressure thing exerted on them but even us guys too?!? Aaaahhh... So what if I’m turning 30 in a couple of weeks... Do I have to get married (or even consider it) just coz I’m turning the BIG THREE O. Nah I think not.
So as V's mom was going on about me getting her a bahu, V was rolling her eyes and giving me pitying looks probably thinking, "Oh you poor boy... I have soooo gone thru this not too long ago".

Lunch got done and I then headed to catch the early evening show of Rock On with the siblings and my pals J & A. I got tickets for this theatre in Mahim called Starcity (the artiste formerly known as Badal of the old Badal-Bijli twin theatres). Went there to try getting tickets before lunch. House Full on the board and as I turn away disappointed, I get psstt-ed at. "Boss, Rock On mangta hai kya?!" Aah what an idiot I was! Of course there is gonna be a tout at these places. So I asked him for 5 tickets and he said it'll cost me 750 (that’s a 150 bux a pop – yeah OK I needed a calculator for that). I’m used to paying no less than 200-300 for a single ticket whenever I go to a PVR or Cinemax or some such. Even for my math-challenged brain the cost of the tickets seemed far too less. It then clicked that I was in Badal of Badal-Bijli in Mahim fame and not a PVR Juhu or Fame Andheri. The original price of the ticket was Rs.100 wonly. I actually asked the blacker very sceptically, "Aap black mein hi bech rahen ho na??” Dude must have thought I'd smoked up some bad sh*t or something :)

Rock On wasn't as bad as I’d thought it would be. I remember telling the Miner that I fully expected this movie to be a complete dud. Regardless of its eventual reviews, I’d have watched this one anyway because I feel a connect with the movie. Having been part of a band myself long ago, I was always hoping someone would make a cool movie about bands, the lifestyle and the gig scene from an Indian context so this was nice to see.
My biggest disappointment with the movie was the soundtrack. Farhan might be a pretty good actor but he can’t sing. One song (the title track) for promotional purposes could have been done by him but not almost 60% of the tracks. I mean it’s a movie about a band for God’s sake. The music HAS to be good. Disappointing clichéd stuff by Shanker-Ehsaan-Loy and the sheets on which most of the lyrics were written were only good enough to be used as toilet paper. (What the fuck is - “Mere taash se heart ka king, mera ek chandi ka ring”) Javed saab apne bete ke vaaste, you could have written waaayyy better lyrics than that.
On a positive note, I loved Zehereelay sung by one of the true rockers of the Mumbai gig circuit in the 90’s – Suraj Jaggan (of Dream Out Loud). It’s a completely wannabe hard rock song where the movie makers I’m sure have tried to poke some fun at the stereotypical Black Tee and bandana clad bands you see on the Mumbai (or Indian) gig/club circuit. But the outstanding track for me is the wonderfully serene Phir Dekhiye sung by Caralisa Monteiro. Sweetly sung with a hint of coaxing and mischief in her voice, this is one lovely song. (Caralisa - Marry me!).

The ride back home after the movie brought back old memories of the band days…
- hanging with the guys while they were auditioning for vocalists…
- them finally picking me coz I was there (“yaar tu hi gaa le since you know everything”)
- our first ever gig which had more than 3000 people…
- getting the “shakes” so badly at the time that I nearly dropped the mic…
- playing in front of the totally biased (for us :) college crowd…
- the cute girls at the Sophiya’s college fest…
- our first television show/competition…
- getting hassled by the judges during said competition and in turn pissing them off…
- roaming the streets of Noida at 10pm trying to find booze so we drown our sorrows…
- Not finding any booze anywhere!...
- deciding we wanted to get into the Indi-pop scene…
- doing the rounds of record labels…
- getting shot down by all of them…
- all the support and affection of our family and friends who remain our biggest fans till date… (Man that last one almost sounds like a shout out on our never-released CD)

Funny thing is I look back now and believe we were a band ahead of its time. OK that might sound a wee bit like I’m full of it but its not… honest.
I’ll tell you what I mean… we started covering alternative rock bands and had a pretty mixed playlist. Of course we played the usual Bryan Adams, Queen, pop-rock stuff. But in them days there weren’t too many bands who were also playing Stone Temple Pilots or Goo Dolls or Green Day in the same set. A few years after we passed out, it seemed that every other band was playing stuff similar to ours. I don’t wanna say we were as good as Zero but when I first saw/heard them, it felt exactly like the kind of sound and material we would have done.
Then again when we tried to get into the Indi-pop scene. Our brand was straight up soft rock with Hindi lyrics (nice ones too unlike taashes and kings and sunglasses).
But no – “you guys sound too western… only guitar and drums and synth… you need to have more Indian instrumentation…”
Of course a few years down the line, one of the most popular bands on the scene is Strings. Soft rock with Hindi/Urdu lyrics. Just a case of (bad) timing I guess…

As I stared out of the window, I'm thinking perhaps we hadn't wanted it badly enough for it to happen. So many musicians have struggled for years before finally making or quitting it. In the end, there are no regrets. I stumbled into it almost accidentally and its influenced my life profoundly and probably made me a better person today.
I used to be a very introverted person back in college not to mention shy and quiet. Today I’m a lot more outgoing than I was then - I guess being the front man for a band will do that to you.

P.S – I still get the damn shakes

12 comments:

Radhika Raj/ Bharat Belliappa said...

:) will still be your groupie!!!

Hope you doing good.

Nimbupaani said...

Wow you are an easy man to goad! Just 2 times was all it took...

I was pleasantly surprised with 'Rock On' too. I had thought it would a cliched movie on a cool trip of its own. But its kind of put together well, still cliched but nice. Except for (as you point out) Akhtar Jr's raspy voice on most of the songs!

So now I know were the Karaoke craze comes from...

PS- Yeah.Groupie. Me too. Though I might want to hear you sing first...

88 said...

yeah i'm easy (stop your filthy mind right there...)

i really thought Arjun Rampal was gonna be the one who screws up the movie but i will admit that he was quite decent. As for Farhan, i kinda thought he was flat in all the songs he sang.

havent actually done any Karaoke in months now... last time i wanted to, i was searching for KTV bars in good ole Sing Sing but no luck in finding a place :) i think my friends were almost relieved lol

Trillian said...

Right, so I'm half your age.
I have absolutely none of the experience (read: time wasted growing up), but the whole thing about the first gig, being told you're not 'hindi' enough, the whole deal. We were playing Clapton, they told us to play Eminem. Seriously.
Anyway, nice post.

88 said...

lol Ouch!
I think these are some common things most college bands go thru. Don't worry bout it man... Play what you like and want.
Thanks for reading.


P.S - you guys have any original material? would like to give it a listen...

Trillian said...

Yeah. I don't know why I didn't think of this before.
Maybe I should put it up.

88 said...

check out this site called Tempostand.com which is where we have put up our old music.

Its like an indie music site which promotes all kinds of genres.

Trillian said...

Okay, quick question.
How the hell do I add audio on the blog???

Trillian said...

And what do I search for on tempostand if I want to listen to your stuff?

88 said...

well i think you need to get the track onto one of those file sharing sites. Then get the (X)HTML code and add the HTML/Java gadget in the blogger layout. Paste the code in here and voila!
ok i know its kinda vague but i'm not so good with these tech things.

It was easier for me to do it coz Tempostand provides the code whenever you upload a track onto their site.

Fictional Reality said...

I think you lived the life of Paris Hilton compared to what I did in college... Jeez! I just dont wanna ever talk about it. ;) But great stuff dude and will sure give your songs a listen.

88 said...

Paris Hilton?!?!! yeeeschh!!
Of all the people, her?! oh well I will take it as a compliment.

Aah dont worry bout it... I think most people just about got by in college. We were so antisocial that I think we finally became cool becoz of it. Also being in the band helped a little I think :D