24.7.08

The Dark Knight Cometh…

Lots been on my mind past couple of days so haven't had the time to put down a few lines. But I felt I had to write something about the movie that is for me is THE blockbuster of the first half of ’08. I’d seen the movie on release day (18th July) itself and actually wanted to write about it right after I got home but held off keeping in mind there were many more fans of The Detective (yeah baby old school – if you’re a DC comics fan you’ll understand why I’m calling him that). And aside from my 2 readers, I didn’t want to upset anyone who hadn't caught the movie yet and possibly stumbled onto my cyber scribble page. I think almost everyone who is a fan has seen the movie within the week of release.

As a kid, my favorite superhero was Spidey – probably a lot to do with those cartoons that they used to show on Doordarshan. It was only much later when I started reading DC and Marvel comics, that I gained a deeper appreciation for the wise-cracking superhero that he is. Yeah wise-cracking! I really liked the first installment but by the third, the character had turned into a pussy. In that lag period of my childhood between superheroes I came across Batman. I don’t know why but I almost immediately liked (and for some reason) identified with the character. No! My parents weren't killed while we were returning from the theatre one evening.
Often movies tend to gloss over Superheroes especially those with a darker element to them. But not Chris Nolan. He knew exactly the way this character needed to be portrayed and boy, was this film ever so dark. Heath Ledger was outstanding in his role as The Joker. He truly captured the essence of the character – a psychotic madman who’s only motive was carnage and chaos. I’d read somewhere that he’d locked himself up in a hotel room for a month to get into the skin of the character.

Perhaps that’s why the villains in Batman were scarier than most. Base motivations like money aside, all the devastation they’d plot was only to create and instill that horrific sense of fear amongst the public at large. In some cases, the motive was almost noble – like Ra’s Al Ghul, an Eco-terrorist wanting to obliterate everyone on earth so he could create an environmentally perfect world.

Few things in this world are more painful than enduring the loss of your child but perhaps when the Ledger family sees Heath in all his glory playing one of the ultimate villains of comic-lore, they may feel heartened just a little that while their son has gone, he will never be forgotten. A memorable legacy befitting a fine performance.


I’ve put down some of my fave quotes from the movie:-

  • I use a knife because guns are too quick. Otherwise, you can't savor all the emotions. You know who people are in their last moments…
  • This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them. Tell your men they work for me now. This is MY city.
  • Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen, We're tonight's entertainment!!!
  • You remind me of my father, I hated my father.
  • Some men are not trying to be logical. They can't be bought, bullied or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
  • Either you die a Hero.... or u live long enough to see yourself turn into a Villain...
  • See, to them you're just a freak....like me....
  • Whatever that doesn't kill you will only make you stranger. (one of my faves too. Thanx for the reminder Shutterbug)
  • Why so serious...??!!



    R.I.P

Heath “The Joker” Ledger


2 comments:

Radhika Raj/ Bharat Belliappa said...

You forgot (or maybe u didn't) "whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stranger". That was definitely my favorite. :)

88 said...

Duly noted and updated in the post :) Thanx.