27.11.08

A Wednesday

I started writing this at 1:00 am.

By the time you read this, I’m sure you will have seen/read about the absolute insanity of the last many hours that this city has been witness and victim too. It’s going on as I write this post…

Mumbai and indeed India’s worst ever terror attack they’re calling it. A series of shootouts and blasts at several locations in the city, a hostage situation currently on within the confines of the Trident (Oberoi) hotel, thick smoke billowing out of both hotels due to grenade blasts.

I’ve turned off the television because a) I couldn’t keep watching the same thing over and over again and b) I felt just a little bit disgusted at myself.

Disgust primarily at what is now (in)famously referred to as the Mumbaikar’s Resilient Spirit. Tomorrow this “incident” will come to an end and most people will go on with the lives. There will be solemn talk and appropriate tch-tching about the whole thing but then we’ll be done with it. Perhaps the only ones who will be traumatized about it, would be people who’ve lost a loved one in this entire affair.

I hate the fact that we just have to be resilient. Once in a way is understandable. But all the damn time?!? We’ve seen some terrible times – The riots, the ’93 blasts, the train blasts, the flooding that almost drowned the city. Special love it seems is being bestowed by the Gods** that dwell in our city.

Its 3 am now and its still on…

A not-so-recent resident of our city buzzes me on chat all upset. While I try to say comforting words and make all the right soothing noises, I realize just how incapable I am of understanding her (rightly justified) fears. Hoping honesty is the right way to go about it, I tell her I can’t help too much only because “Ab toh jaise aadat si ho gayi hai…”
As I said it I felt all of 2 feet tall. It’s pathetic that things like this have to become a habit. Bomb blasts, riots, shootouts, death arent't things one should get used to.


Since I am a gambling man, I bet someone will make a (hopefully good) movie on the events that have transpired tonight within 16 months. See, resilience...

2 comments:

Fictional Reality said...

You are so damn right about the movie bit! Ramu has already visited the Taj along with CM and his son... Good tho as its cost Mr CM his job, among other reasons.
I don't ever want to forget it. I watch TV everyday as the Indian media locks horns with Paki politicians and media personnel, and asks embarassing questions. I love the 4 way debates, because I see my thoughts being mirrored everywhere.
I love the fact that FBI and Brits are here... for once everyone knows exactly what's happening and where from an Indian perspective... It was amazing to hear our reporters say that if Pakistan is unable to clear the camps being run on its own soil... we'll do it for them. Coz they sure can't do anything about it! The situation so succintly put by our ex Chief of Staff when he said that in Pakistan the govt reigns but does not rule and the army does not reign but rules!
So if nothing I am very happy with the way the media has handled the issue... I see very pertinent questions, patriotic aggression (refreshing after the apathy of our leaders) and comittment as they stood outside Taj the whole of 60 hours. I dint see them going after the grease (pl excuse all hindi channels, they don't qualify as news). And I find it heartening.

88 said...

Well the movie thing was bound to happen. And I even understand the need for RGV to check out the unsanitized crime scene. But for the CM to act as a tourguide of sorts was just beyond silly on his part as a public servant. It did not send out the right message and if there was even a glimmer of hope of him not getting chucked out of office, this stunt will extinguish it.

I hate to say it but a good tamaasha will always attract the interest of passersby. But that said, I figure the more information and analysis we get, the better.

As far as the news channels are concerned, this was one of those once-in-a-lifetime (I hope) type of stories, a reporter gets to cover. I remember talking to a reporter about 9/11 once and he was like there is always a war within a reporter during such stories - his journalistic side that needs to povide information to the public versus his human side which like any other person wants to express shock/grief/sympathy at the unfolding of these horrors in front of their very eyes.